Saturday, August 13, 2016

Texarkana State Line Post Cards



I think this is the oldest of the images I have. Apparently, the idea of one's ass in one state and yourself in another was quite popular for postcards back in the day. 

Be sure to examine the next two closely. They are obviously the same man. He has a peg leg, but the two are from different time periods as one is the old post office and one is the newer post office. I will tell you, I had them both for longer than I care to admit before I realized the man had a peg leg. 



This is the older post office. You can see it in the oldest image above.



And here is the newer Post Office and Courthouse. In the first, there are horses and buggies or wagons and the car is older. In this, the cars look like they are probably from the late 30s or early 40s. It is the same man and donkey in both images. Either he posed again, which I doubt, or this is an early example of photo or image manipulation.




This postcard got a little more artistic with the picture and reverses which state the man is in.





You can clearly see the Post Office/Courthouse at the end of State Line Avenue. I'd love to get a photo of this now to compare the images. 

Does anyone know if there are other states where the post office is bisected by the state line? I do know there are several cities that are, but it would be interesting to know if a federal building is also. 


No comments:

Post a Comment